Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chisago or Bust

This will be my second Half IM this year and will also be another great test for where I'm at in my Ironman training. Liberty may have been my best race so far in my eyes. Buffalo and Minnetonka were great but punching out a 1:28 half marathon after a good bike and swim was very nice. It was by far my best run of the year and I'm hoping to improve on that Sunday.

Chisago does pay out to fifth place and I'm hoping to grab some more loot. Kelly is all over using the prize money for a crib for our bundle of joy coming in December. There are a few problems though. First is David Thompson. David will take first by a rather large margin as long as he doesn't flat out. Devon Palmer is signed up for the short course and I fear he will join the long distance race. Devon did race at Racine last weekend and I'm hoping he is still recovering. I believe we are similar on the bike and run but he will dominate me in the water. Next is Josh Riff. Josh is racing fantastic this year and took me by 4:30 at Liberty (before the penalty) but I feel like the gap may be closer this race. Matt Payne will also be there. Matt is also racing great but told me he has not been training for distance this year. For some reason I don't think that will make much of a difference. Matt is a beast and should do just fine. Hopefully no one else shows up that I am not aware of.

I'm hoping to have worked out the crimps from my last two races. I really believe that nutrition played the larger role in my lack luster performances at Waconia and Lifetime. I've been eating better the last couple of weeks and have actually put on a couple of pounds. I feel much better and my workouts are also improving because of it. My swimming really took off but I'm not 100% confident in it just yet. The run is what is looking the best right now. I'm putting down training times that are a little faster than my best workouts at the peek of last season. Hopefully that translates into a solid race and a little pocket money to go along with it.

If everyone I fear shows up and races there best I could take 5th. Although with Devon racing a half last weekend, Matt possible not at 100% long distance form and my improved nutrition plan anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment