Tuesday, August 17, 2010

IM Training and DL Preview

Wisconsin is less than a month away. My volume is huge right now and all three disciplines have shown huge improvements since Chisago. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I believe I have been anemic for some time and have started taking an Iron supplement. Since then I have been able to go over 90 miles on the bike three times when before I was struggling to do 75. I believe I am actually ahead of schedule for the race. Now I just need to hit my nutrition and hydration.

Well, the Young Life Triathlon in Detroit Lakes is on tap for this weekend. I picked this race for a few of reasons. This was my first triathlon win in my career and I have a weird felling of loyalty to it for that reason. DL also falls on a Saturday and fit into my training schedule pretty well for IM Wisconsin. I also missed a turn last year and want to see how fast I can go on this course. This was the race that started to set me apart last year when I started racing really fast. I'm hoping that will continue.

As far as I know Sam Janicki will be the toughest challenge there. Sam destroyed me at Land Between Lakes Tri in May this year. I don't feel like I raced to my potential there but that would have made little difference as there is no way I believe I could've shaved two minutes off my time. It may have at least made the results look a little more respectable. Sam is having a great season and will undoubtedly win the Tri MN Series unless someone off the radar button hooks him. Which I seriously doubt.

I am in by far the best shape of my life right now, which is part of the problem. My Ironman Training volume is way up and after my longest training day yet consisting of a 104 mile bike ride followed up with a 17 mile run last Saturday. This has left me quite sore and on the edge of injury. I am following my standard race week tapering schedule but I'm not sure that I will be fully recovered by Saturday. Regardless as much as I want to beat Sam (I'm sure he wants to beat me too) I am focusing on a sub 2:00:00 race. If I can do that it will be a victory regardless of place. Last year I came in at 2:04 and change. I'm guessing that you can shave about 3 min off from the wrong turn and the swim was treacherous last year with a pretty good wind and only three buoys to mark the course. If the course is properly marked and the correct distance it could save me an additional 2-3 min. Since my run still has not developed like it did at the end of last season I may need it. Although my main concern is staying healthy and if I feel like I am about to pull something I will not hesitate to call it a day. I don't think that will be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment