Friday, June 20, 2014

100% Healthy... Almost

    Tomorrow is the first race of the season for me.  Usually get in an earlier race but decided to take it easy this year to maximize the recovery from my last hip and hernia surgery last September.  For some reason this recovery went way better than last years.  My run came back a lot faster as well as my bike power.  While I'm still not back to the training splits I had a few years ago I also recognize I'm now 35 and coming off surgeries on 6 body parts in the last 2.5 years.  
     While the surgeries have been no fun I've struggled to put my finger on why I just haven't felt right over the past few years. I thought it was more due to lack of training, sleep deprivation due to two new kids and an inconsistent training routine.  Then a couple of months ago I started having severe breathing issues.  Over the past few years I've had issues with this and was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma.  Although now I was struggling to breath all the time.  I couldn't even hold a simple conversation without being out of breath.  My wife who is now a doctor recommended that I stop taking my inhalers to see if anything got worse or better.  Reluctantly I did and there seem to be little or no change so I went in to see Dr. Knop who is one of the premier family practice docs  in the Twin Cities who specializes in athletes.  In the end he refereed me to a pulmanologist who started me on Singular, which is a drug to help with allergy induced asthma.  This was two weeks ago and might I say since then I've felt fantastic!  I'm no longer tired all the time nor do I have to fend off the hunger beast all the time.  Both of which I chalked up to over training.  On top of that my training has gone much better and I've enjoyed my workouts a lot more.  I'm still not 100% but I feel that I will get there soon.
      After everything I've been through the last few years I'm really optimistic about tomorrow.  I've upgraded from my old P3 frame to a Scott Plasma 3.  I also got professionally fit and moved up to a 56cm frame from my old 54cm P3.  All in all I'm hoping this will help my bike split.  While I'm not expecting to be running 5:40 splits tomorrow like I did in '09 and '10 I feel confident that I will be around 6 mins and not be destroyed doing it.  Most of all I'm really looking forward to swimming.  In the last couple of months my stroke has really come around and I'm feeling the water really well.  All in all I'm really hoping to be competitive with the always tough crowd at Minnetonka.  
      I also made the jump from Twin Cities Multisport Club to Gear West a few months ago.  It was a decision I did not take lightly.  I've been with TCMC since 2009 and have nothing but awesome things to say about them.  Although the club seems to be at a cross roads right now and I decided to look into other options.  I thought about Gear West back in 2009 although they seemed intimidating to me at the time.  I was a newcomer and everyone on the squad was a stud.  TCMC was new and I didn't want to get lost in a sea of studs.  Since then I've become friends with Kevin O'Conner and a lot of the GW guys.  They are all awesome people and am totally stoked to be racing with them.  I just want to put on a good first race flying the new GW red and black colors.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment