Thursday, September 24, 2009

My First Duathlon

I plan on hitting up the Cannon Falls Duathlon this weekend. I had such a good season I don't want it to end. This will be my first duathlon and I'm a little excited to see how it goes. It is a short 14 mile bike course but a 1.75 mile run to start and another 3 miles to finish.

Last year I finished up the season and fell off the wagon eating everything in sight. As much as I loved gaining 15 pounds in a month and 20 pounds overall in the off season I want to try to maintain my weight this year. I think the best way to do this is to add some races in the fall that I consider to be fun races and won't put much pressure on. That being said I take every race seriously and have a hard time holding back if I have a race coming. I also plan on adding the Big Woods Half Marathon on the 17th. I haven't decided if I will add anything else.

Last week I signed up for Wisconsin Ironman. This will be my first attempt at an Ironman. My hope is to qualify for Kona but just finishing is a serious accomplishment. My mentor Jeremy Sartain was unable to finish this year due to illness but immediately signed up again for next year. I am super stoked to be doing the race with him next year. If you haven't followed his story Jeremy is a former professional cyclist who was making a breakthrough in triathlons only to have a serious motorcycle accident last year. Defying all odds Jeremy came back this year to have a great season and is only getting faster. Jeremy is an inspiration to many people including myself and to be there when he gets another Kona slot will be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work the other day out at the Cannon Wells Du!
    ~Mario

    ReplyDelete