Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Square Lake

Well it all comes down to Square Lake Half. I was hoping that Square Lake would be my first victory last year and was looking like it was going to be until I had an unfortunate bike accident. I was leading the race when I was coming up on the last place competitor. When I said on your left she "panicked" and went to the left so I went right. When she realized I said on your left she dove back right and cut me off. I was having a fantastic race and would have had around a 10 min lead off the bike if I would have continued at the pace I was going. But the past is past and I have managed to put it behind me with two wins this season. I would still like to have a little redemption and complete my first Half Ironman.

Earlier this year Jeremy Sartain tipped me off that Dan Arlandson was going to be at Square Lake as well. Dan is a stud and barring a flat or not putting everything into it he should have no problem taking this one. I also saw Rhett Bonner on the list who is the fastest 45-49 year old in the country. Rhett is in fantastic shape this year and will be fighting for second with myself and last years winner Chris Leiferman. I believe this will prove to be a very exciting race with 2-4 place up for grabs.

I have been training for this race now for two years and feel fantastic. That being said I don't know what is going to happen. Am I going to bring my A game like at Baxter? I believe the key to my success will actually be in the water rather than on the bike. I need to find a good rhythm early but not tire out. I plan on holding back on the bike some so that I can run like I did at Waseca. If I run like I did at Waseca I will consider the day a success. I don't know how my legs are going to react after biking for 54 hard miles. In training they have always come through but training and racing are two different beasts. All in all I think I can break 4:10 if conditions are right. I just need to race my own race and not worry about anyone else. Same as any other race.

Sounds like a standard Half Ironman plan but sticking to it is always the tough part. What will the weather be like? How will the swim go? Will someone push me or will I be pushing someone which will take me out of my game plan? All I can tell you is I'm looking forward to pushing myself father than I have gone in a triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment