Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Open 10k

This Saturday will be my first open 10K since 2005. I'm hoping to set a new PR which shouldn't be a problem since it is 40:12 set nearly six years ago. Since then I've gone from being a good recreational runner to being a competitive amateur triathlete. But don't count your chickens till they hatch. I've been working on form this off season and this will be a good test to see how that has improved my efficiency.

In reality my PR is 36:55 set at the Young Life Olympic distance triathlon 2 years ago. I'm hoping to go sub 36 but that maybe tough to do this early in the season to go along with an off season that included the birth of our first baby and recovery from IM Wisconsin. I got started a little later than normal when it comes to ramping up the training due to those factors. New PR or not I'm looking forward to having some fun and getting out on the road (path) again.

A brother of one of my soldiers, who is a soldier himself, went to Iraq in a different unit and whom I knew at college will be there as well. I'm looking forward to catching up with him after the race and seeing how things are going on his end. Nate is a beast and while he may not have blazing speed because he used to be more of a weight lifter he is still fast and is in serious shape. This year he is doing his first marathon and using this for a tune up race.

My mom will be at the race as usual and we'll see if the wife and new baby make it. I think weather will dictate that more than anything. It maybe a little early in the season to have a baby out there. Regardless the goal is to tune up for Minnetonka Half marathon and keep from getting injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment