Wednesday, May 18, 2011

To Be or Not to Be

This weekend will be my first multisport of the year and my second ever duathlon. My first was in 2009 possibly near the peak of career so far where I set a course record at Cannon Wells. This is a record that may never be broken considering the race may never be run again. Kinda cool to hold a record that will never be broken. Regardless this weekend will be under very different circumstances.

This is a race that could put me back to where I was in 2009 or just be another race where I have to realize the reality that it will be difficult to reach the next level now that I am married with a beautiful wife and daughter. I sacrifice that I am willing to make but I want to have both.

Looking at the field it is not going to be easy to get noticed this weekend either. This field is almost as deep as Waconia last year and it does not play to my strengths. All be it I'm hoping to crack the top ten as a realistic goal. If lady luck is on my side looking at the participants list I could, big could, crack the top five. For this to happen I'm going to have to have a Baxter type race where my legs just seem to turn over with ease and never feel fatigued.

The good news is that my running is progressing nicely. I ran 6 one mile repeats the other day on one minute rest and they were all between 5:47 and 5:52. The catch is the weather was perfect and I'm not 100% sure of the exact mileage on it. The bad news is I've only been on the road three times so far this year. Tomorrow being number four. The power still seems good but I haven't been out enough to gauge where I'm at. Plus the computer on my bike skips in and out so my avg speed and mileage are way off. Otherwise I am really slow.

I do have motivation to do well though. My daughter is being baptized this weekend. This is not normally a big reason to go fast. However, the duathlon starts at 8am and her baptism starts at 10:45. Being that I will finish up around 9:17 if all goes well I then have to pack up my crap, drive home, get showered, dressed and drive to the church. If everything goes as planned I should make it but I have no time to dilli dalli.

No comments:

Post a Comment