Friday, June 24, 2011

Waconia Preview

This is the only race that I have done every year since I started triathlons. The first time I did it I was something like 90th overall. Since then I've been 13th, 8th, and 5th in 2009. I love the competition here and the course really plays to my strengths.

MN Tri News has posted that I should do well Sunday. I believe this to be true. I believe I am in near top shape and the only thing that is holding me back is a few tweaks to my form. The one wild card is I came down with a slight cold yesterday that I seem to be holding off pretty well. I should be at 100% Sunday as long as there are no setbacks.

Now the question is where do I fit in when I cross the finish line. Looking at the competitors I'm shooting for 6th. Although this is one of those races that I could do better or worse depending on how I race and how others race. That's typically true but usually there is a buffer zone. I don't see much of that on Sunday.

In order to move up I have to hope either someone flats or that Kevin O'conner is not at his best. This is a tall order as Kevin is always tough and even in decent shape he should still take me. On the flip side I will have to hold off Ross Weinzierl and Brooks Gossinger. Ross had success earlier in the season but has slumped a bit lately. I'm looking for him to have a comeback on Sunday. Brooks is a super fast runner, a great triathlete but more of a duathlete. I have come in ahead of him in previous years but he has been improving the lately and has had a couple of great duathlons earlier this year that lead me to believe he will be chasing me hard on the run.

This race will have three of the best triathletes in the country in it. Matt Payne, Patrick Parish and Dan Hedgecock are in another solar system and Alex Hooke is right in there with them. If I can somehow nab 5th I will be ecstatic. To be honest if I can make Kevin run me down and stay within a minute of him I will be stoked.

After Minnetonka last weekend I believe I have my bike dialed in. The only question is can I put together a good run off the bike and a good swim to set up the bike. If I can put together a good race I believe I can make a statement that I can hang with the big dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment