Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Apple Recap

I showed up on Saturday morning hoping for a 5th place finish. With Patrick P, Dan H, Brooks G, and Chad M on the registrant list that is the best I could hope for. As we all toed the line we all noticed that Patrick wasn't there. I thought... Super!! I'm one flat tire away from a little payday. I was lucky enough for this to actually happen to me last year at Buffalo when I went from a probable 4th to 2nd when Sam Janacki and Matt Payne flatted out.

As the race began I knew I just had to let the runners go. Kyle Serreyn and I quickly fell back as the lead pack gained on us with every stride. I stuck with Kyle for a bit but Kyle just seemed to have this long slow stride that kept putting distance between us. As we came into T1 Kyle had about 20 seconds on me.

Last week my transitions were sloppy at best so I was hoping for them to go a little more smoothly. I put on my helmet grabbed my bike and took off thinking boy that was quick. As I went to mount my bike I realized why it was so quick. I forgot to take off me shoes. I went to go back into transition but realized I would go back over the mat and screw up my time. I then looked around for an official and asked if I could go back in. No one could give me a definitive answer so I tossed my shoes back over the fence in the hopes that they would miraculously fall into my transition area. One shoe did but the other was just far enough away for me to think that I would get an abandonment penalty. So again, I asked if I could go back in at which time a gentleman (and I mean that literally) sad he had it and put my shoes in my spot. Crisis over...for now.

I also left my shoes clipped in this week unlike Gear West. My plan was to go up the hill and put my feet in towards the top and hammer down. Problem was I haven't practiced this at all this year and almost came to a complete stop getting my first shoe on. The second went on better but still not good. I have no idea how much time this all cost me but there's no way it would have made up for 3rd so no harm done.

I was puzzled last week at my week (for me) bike split. It's partly because I haven't been on the road much but my seat position just didn't feel right. I made what is typically the biggest party fowl imaginable. I adjusted my seat a few days before the race. I tested it on my trainer and it felt ok but I didn't get to ride it on the road so I was left guessing if it was dialed in. The ride felt much stronger but the seat is now a little high. I didn't run that well off the bike because of this but again not so much that it effected anything. I will have it dialed by Minnetonka.

On the bike I caught Kyle about 6 or 7 miles in and then caught Kevin Smith, a runner from Canada at about mile 9. Kyle was on a road bike with aero clipons. If he had a TT bike he would be stupid fast. He posted the 2nd fastest first and second runs behind Dan.

I knew I had a big lead for fourth off the bike so I felt comfortable. I just hoped that Kevin didn't have some sort of monster run split. Sure enough with about a mile left I noticed people cheering someone on behind me. I was guessing he was about a minute back. I didn't panic but kept going. Luckily I held on for fourth but 5th ended up going to Sean Cooley out of the age divisions. I only ended up with an 8 second cushion.

Sean introduced himself after the race. He is in his second year of tris and has been bit by the bug. Sean had a great bike split that was even faster than mine. There are so many up and comers it's hard to believe. I remember when it was just Matt, Patrick and myself a few years ago. Now it seems like there is a couple at every race.

The best part of the race was that my cheering section was one bigger than normal. As always mom was there with Kelly but the weather was good enough for my baby daughter Avery to make an appearance at the race. She was so excited she slept right threw it. I can't wait till she is waiting for me at the finish line cheering Daddy! Daddy Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment