Monday, September 12, 2011

Didn't See That Coming

Wow!! What an Awesome race. I've come to grips with the fact that I'm not it the shape I was in 2009 so I was hoping to just not suffer too bad and finish sub 4:20. I knew Dan Arlandson would be their along with my buddy Ross Wienzierl. I figured Dan then me then Ross for the podium. I then hear Bennett Isabella was also there. I have only raced against him once at Turtleman where I flatted out. I knew he was a stupid fast runner but I was able to make up the difference in the first few miles of the bike before I flatted out. I had no idea what his swim was like. I knew he could be a contender but figured if he caught me on the run it would be around mile 9-10ish. What unfolded was probably my favorite race of the year and a totally unexpected result.

The morning was nearly perfect. Very light wind and about 60ish to start. Ross and I chatted at the start and went over our plans. As the gun went off I took it a little easy as planned but found a good stroke right off the bat. Ross was actually ahead of me and I drafted him to the first bouy. I then got ahead of him for about 100 yards till the next bouy. I then tried to put a little into it to drop him from my draft and thought I did. I then saw someone ahead of me a worked a little hard to see if I could close the gap and catch a draft. It worked perfect and later found out that for the third time in the three years I've done this race I was on Thomas Krenz's feet. Then about halfway I notice Ross was still on me. I figured he was working harder than he probably should since he is not known for his swimming. We ended up coming out of the water together and Ross and I were in 3rd and 4th to start the bike.

Ross and I rode together for the first few hilly miles of the bike and again I thought Ross might be a little ambitious for his first Half IM, which is a common mistake no matter how experienced you are. I then started putting distance between us at about mile 20 I looked back and couldn't see him so figured he had dropped back pretty far.

As I started the second loop I heard my mom yell that I was in good shape and was only a couple of minutes back. I knew Dan would destroy me in the water so I knew the only hope I had was to match his bike split and hope I somehow could out run him. A tall order, I know but it was all I could hope for.

I had made a gutsy decision for my bike nutrition plan. Since it was cooler at the start but would be getting warm I decided to not take a water bottle on my stem and only use my 1 liter Aero bottle with 16 oz of Heed in the extra cell. There was a water bottle drop at halfway and I would refill my main cell then use the Heed for the last 30 mins of the ride. I would also have four GU's taped to my top tube and I would have one every 30 mins. The strategy worked perfect as I took all the fluids I wanted and was literally sucking the Heed dry in the last mile of the bike.

As I came into transition I heard times from 30 secs to 2 min behind Dan. I knew I was close but also knew the next few miles would be where the race was decided. Rather than blasting out of T2 like I did against Rhett Bonner in 2009 I took a nice easy steady pace and just chugged along. Not worrying about Dan I knew I just had to concentrate on keeping my breathing slow and steady and not overheating.

My legs were fatigued but I was able to keep a decent pace. When I say decent it was probably 8:30 miles as the first half is almost all up hill with some rather steep inclines. I did notice that my hamstrings were almost cramping so I wasn't able to open up very much in order to keep from pulling one. The best way to put it was I was carefully running. I knew I needed to let my stomach absorb everything I had in it to keep the cramps at bay.

As I chugged along I noticed Dan wasn't putting much time on me. In fact at about Mile 4-5 I thought I might actually be gaining on him. Then I heard some seriously fast footsteps behind me. I honestly thought it was a recreational runner who was doing some speed work. No way was a competitor running that fast at this point in the race. As he went by I noticed it was Bennett. No way was I going to be able to run with him and he asked me if that was Dan ahead of me. I sad yes and that he was going to catch him.

As Bennett glided past me I was still focused on catching Dan. Then Bennett caught Dan. At that point I thought I saw Dan walking. Sure enough he was. Then he tried running again only to go back to a walk again. As I passed him he jumped in behind me for a bit then tried to pass but only made about a 10 yard gap before he started walking again. My strategy had payed off but yet I was still going to be 2nd. Or so I thought.

At the turn around I was impressed to see my buddy Ross. I was also a little shocked as he was only about 1:30-2:00 back. I thought this was a decent gap but I had to go or he would catch me. At the same time I thought there is no way Ross can keep this pace with it getting hotter. On the way back my legs were feeling a little better but I still felt the hamstrings tighten up ever now and again. Especially if I pushed it too hard for too long. With about 3 miles left I noted Ross was only about 45 seconds back and looking good. I did the best I could to push the pace. My legs were responding and I my heart rate wasn't spiking and breathing was under control. Problem was Ross was still putting time on me.

With about 1 mile and a half left Ross made the pass. I figured I would still try to keep a tough pace and hope he faded on the last hill. Unfortunately Ross just wasn't going to slow up. In fact he may have been able to keep that pace a while longer by the looks of it. I still haven't seen the results but Ross put down a serious run to grab second overall. It had to be Ross's best race yet and it was awesome to see a good friend have such an amazing race. Even if it meant finishing behind him.

After the race I got in the water for a bit and knew I needed electrolytes. Then I started to cramp up and bad. I had to drag myself to shore just as my mom brought me my recovery drink. Someone else brought me some Gatorade and I was able to get function back in my legs.

I have to admit that even thought this the outcome I was hoping for I was ecstatic with the result. I felt like I had put as good a race together as I could of, didn't suffer too bad and got to see a good friend take it to the next level. I also got to talk with Dan after the race. I could tell he was disappointed but as he put it, "some days you have it, some days you don't." Very true.

Bennett was a monster and I'm really curious to see his run split. It had to be serious along with Ross's. Congratulations to both of them. I think all three of us put together the best races we could have. It was a fantastic finish to a good season and left me with a feeling of anticipation for next season.

Next up Mankato Marathon followed by a pub crawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment