Thursday, September 8, 2011

Square Lake Preview

I can't believe it's almost over. This will be my last multisport of the year and I feel strangely unfulfilled. Most year by the end of the season I am ready to throw in the the towel and get down to yard work. For some reason this year I want the season to last another month. I think it's partially because a somewhat disappointing August with a flat tire at Turtleman, good but not great performance at St. Paul followed by a frustrating race at Maple Grove. It could also be that I had higher expectations for this year. My '09 season I seemed to have everything go my way and had a huge August. I think I was hoping for a similar season. I did have a few ups, but also more downs than I am used to. In '09 it was almost all ups.
Another reason I want the season to be longer is that I feel like I am still improving or at least finally working out the kinks. I have my run where I want it and my swim feels like it comes around more often than not. However my bike power seems to be dropping. Funny how that is. Just when I feel like everything is pulling together, the season ends.
As for Square Lake, Dan Arlandson is on the register list so it looks like I will have to settle for at least second. My good buddy Ross Weinzierl will also be there to see how he fares at this distance. Ross tried to do Chisago Half last year but flatted out. For me I'm just hoping to come in somewhere between 4:15-4:20. In '09 I came in at 4:15ish on a warm day in a battle with Rhett Bonner. I believe my swim may be better than then but my bike is not. However my run could be faster. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment