Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not a Gimme


Jerry Macneil has posted on Tri MN news that I am supposed to win on Saturday at Detroit Lakes. Brent Sinn is supposed to be the one to give me the most trouble, but I don't know if Jerry knows how much trouble Brent has given me in the past. Last year I was hoping to win at Mankato until I showed up to the race only to see Curt Wood. at that point I was hoping to take home second. Unfortunately I was in second nearing the end of the bike leg when there was no one directing me to take a left at a corner. A police officer was holding traffic so as I passed through the intersection he told me left. I don't know how much time it took to stop and turn around and get back up to speed but Brent and Mark Carey ended up taking second and third by about 30 seconds. At worst it would have made for a very exciting last quarter mile, something I know all too much about this year. At best I edge both of them out. A few weeks later I again over trained for Lifetime and ended up second overall in the age divisions with a 2:08. Brent came in a minute ahead of me. Yes I did beat Brent this year but as Jerry said neither of us had our best races. Earlier this year Josh Blankenheim beat me in a sprint to the finish at Minnetonka. Josh is a guy I have consistently beat in the past with time to spare. This just shows that nothing is for sure in any sport, especially this one. I may win this weekend but Brent will definitely make me earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment