Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Graniteman Recap

I was really looking forward to this race. The point to point swim intrigued me and the distance suites me very well this year. I stayed at my coworkers place in Monticello again to save some drive time/sleep. It worked well and I got one of my better nights sleep before a race. As I got into my car I noticed some ominous looking clouds on the horizon. I prayed that the weather would either hold off or just let go before the race. Luckily it let go on my drive to the race making for a wet but manageable course.

As I set up I noticed a rather interesting transition. You biked in and out from the same place. I thought this could pose a problem. The run out was also hidden a little on the side which made transition fare for nearly everyone depending on where you racked your bike. Luckily I asked the race director how transition worked prior to the race and new how everything worked.

The swim was a straight point to point and was with the wind. This made for an awesome swim and I rocked it in 9:48 and came out in around fifth place among the Elites. I had a good T1 and started hitting the pedals. It was windy and I never seemed to get any rhythm. I found myself in 2nd around mile two and just a half to quater mile back from the leader. I was hitting it pretty hard and was making up time but not as fast as usual. This had my a bit worried as I don't usually have to much competition on the bike unless it's a higher profile race. At about mile 6 I started closing the gap much quicker and took the lead at mile 9ish. It was a long straight stretch back to transition with a nasty cross/head wind but I managed to muscle through it pretty well.

As I came into T2 there were people still coming out of T1 making for an interesting mix. The volunteers were all over it though and made sure everyone stayed to the right. I cruised in and made a safe dismount. My transition was good and I saw the guy in second coming into T2 as I was leaving. At this point I though it was Nate Hoffman who was picked by Tri MN News to be in 2nd overall. If this was the case I was in trouble as Nate is a serious runner and I figured I only had about 30-45 seconds on him. The good news was I had moved my seat position up a little after Waconia in an attempt to feel better on the run. It worked as I immediately felt my legs and they were fresh. I ran hard but held back a little in case I needed some gas at the end. I figured if it was Nate he would catch me at the turn around and there would be nothing I could do. If not I would have a little to sprint at the end.

The run had a couple of pretty good hills on it and a stretch of soft sand/gravel that made for a slightly slower run. At the turn I saw 2nd coming behind me but it didn't look like he was gaining much. I asked my buddy Ross how far back he was when I passed him and he told me about 35-40 seconds. I thought man, he may not be gaining but I haven't put any distance on him either. I started to push a little harder and new I had it in the bag with about a half mile left. I must admit it is always an exhilarating feeling to come across the line first.

The guy behind me came across about a minute later. We congratulated each other and I introduced myself and asked who he was. I was a little surprised to hear it was Marcus Stromberg. A name I have seen but am not too familiar with. Marcus then asked where I came from on the bike. I guess at first I thought, from behind. He told me he didn't see me at the out and back. My reaction was, "what out and back?" I don't know if Marcus realized that an out and back means you go out on the same road you came in on making for a turn around point with a hair pin turn. This course did not have that. I then sensed that Marcus thought I had cut the course somehow. I told him that I had gone everywhere the volunteers had told me to go and had marked him since mile 2. I'm not sure if Marcus fully believed me but I can assure you I missed no turns and actually felt like my bike was a little weak. I know the feeling though, when you think, "how did that guy do that." I was puzzled when a then no name Sam Janicki blew my doors off at Chain of Lakes last year. I'm sure we all now know who Sam is now.

For awards Bill (the race director) handed out sweet pieces of Granite for trophies. I have to admit the granite plaque is right up there with Minnetonka's stupid huge trophies in coolness. I was also super impressed with the overall race. Bill did an awesome job and the volunteers seemed to be very well briefed in how t o avoid any incidents with any of the issues I saw that could pose a problem. I was also impressed with how well the course was marked. I never once questioned if I was off course, which I usually do and sometimes am.

Shot out to my ever supportive mom and my buddy Ross who raced with me. Ross did not have a stellar race due to dropping his chain and some difficulties locating the run out in T2 but he handled it like a veteran. Some races just don't go your way. When they don't you just have to remember, there will be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment