Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Twin Cities Preview

This was a race I was really looking forward to. After last weekends fun sapping heat race I've lost my fondness for racing for a little bit. I didn't melt down completely on the run but it was close. I did screw myself up bad enough that my training has been much less this week. This was going to be the intent to taper but now it's more for recovery purposes. My heart still doesn't feel like it's clicking in the right rhythm and my legs just don't seem to have the normal pep at this point in the week.

When I signed up for this one it seemed to be a three deep field. The pro Devon Palmer, Patrick Parish and myself. Since I have little to no hope of beating either of them I was looking forward to pushing hard for a respectable third place finish. Since then the field has grown. Matt Payne has thrown his hat in and wil bump me off the podium. Although Brett Lovass and David Holden will push me hard and make me work for fourth. Brett is not at his best this year but never count him out. David is super fast and has beaten me at least once before. I will admit I do like having a deeper field to push the pace. It will make for a much more exciting race.

The one draw back is that the swim is 1.2 miles long. It may be with the current of the Mississippi but I still think the course will be long giving the advantage to the swimmers. The bike course on the other hand has a huge hill to start it off. This will hopefully be my advantage. I love hills and as long as I don't wear out my legs I should see a big advantage on the bike. It should all come down to the run. If I can find my legs like I did at Graniteman I will be good. But that is the only time this season that I felt like my run was strong all year. Bottom line I may need to take a tinge off my bike to help save my legs a little for the run. Hopefully I don't get carried away on the bike course like usual.

1 comment:

  1. SInce you posted this on the 20th, I guess that means your okay. Why do I ask? On my blog yesterday I had some hits from search engine terms about the death of Steve Sander on 19 July. I looked online and couldn't find anything. But apparently, if a Steve Sander died, it wasn't you.

    Glad to know you're still alive and kicking Steve. Carry on. Good luck at TC.

    ReplyDelete