Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Great Debate

For the first time since I started doing triathlons I will not be attending Lifetime Fitness. It was a deep debate that got even deeper as my training didn't suffer from the increased time needed with my 6 month old. As much as I want to through my name in the hat I have no chance of beating Dan or Patrick and the only chance to beat Sam would be if he doesn't race at 100% to save himself for Racine the following weekend. I think he's going to race fast though so I'm out for top 3 for sure. I also always seem to have a poor race at LTF and don't see that changing this year.

Since Lifetime was out I opted for Granitman. It is not as competitive since all the talent gets sucked up by Lifetime and Timberman but I know the race director and will admit am interested to see what all the hype is about. I love smaller races with more of a small town feel. Not only that I love the feeling of having the opportunity to win. I felt fantastic after Minnetonka and hope I can repeat the feeling.

My stiffest competition that I know of will be from my friend and off season training partner Ross Weinzierl. Ross started strong this year but has not been able to put it together in a few races. On the other hand I seem to be getting faster with every race. I'm hoping that I can finally get my run to come around so I can start competing at the level I was in 2009 and the beginning of 2010.

This morning I did make one last adjustment to my seat position. After Minnetonka and Waconia I have not been able to run like I believe I can and think my seat was a touch low and forward wearing out my hip flexors for the run. I rode on it this morning and feel like it may be better dialed in. What may hurt me is I put in a serious brick workout on Saturday that consisted of a 48 mile bike ride with a 9 mile run. Both at near race pace intensity. I really hope this was not too much as I felt it Sunday and still felt a little fatigued yesterday. To compensate I took it easy on the bike this morning and will also take it easy on the runs today and tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment