Thursday, August 25, 2011

Maple Grove

When I decided to do this race I was hoping to do the Tri Star 111 race. Unfortunately the 111 was almost a $100 more expensive, which was too rich for my blood. So instead I opted for the Olympic course. I was also hoping that this would be my premier A race of the year next to Square Lake but that has taken a turn for the worse as well.

I came down with a minor cold a few days before St. Paul tri last week but it was just a runny nose and a scratchy throat. Nothing that I haven't had before or that would effect my race. Then on Monday evening I was not hungry after my evening swim. This is not common. Usually I can't stop eating from June to September so not wanting to eat anything was a bit peculiar. Then by the time I went to bed I felt like my intestines were going to explode and had no energy. It was a case of an intestinal bug of some type. I actually called in sick to work for the first time I can recall since I had mono in high school. Luckily by later on Tuesday I was able to do some light training but my stomach was still feeling a little raw and I didn't get my appetite back until later on Wednesday.

Needless to say training this week has not gone well and tapering has become more of recovery from illness. I have no idea how this will effect my performance on Sunday and I don't like to make excuses but I don't plan on this being my best race of the year.

Looking at the start list I saw Devon Palmer's name. Luckily he dropped into the 111 race and I don't recognize any other names on the start list. So hopefully I can pick up a win even with having to spend the week recovering from a stomach bug.

I have been looking forward to this race though and am very curious to see what the talk is all about. Maybe this will take over Graniteman as my favorite race of the year. Regardless I'm really hoping to put together a better swim than last week. Ever since masters took a break my stroke and power just don't seem to be as sharp. I really want to get things tuned up prior to Square Lake Half.

No comments:

Post a Comment