Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Swim Cyclist? Trutleman Duathlon

With the change in my training schedule I thought I would be better suited for duathlons this season. Unfortunately it seems that I am becoming more of a swim cyclist instead. Not that I'm not happy with an improved swim split but I have been disappointed in my run splits. I know I can run faster than I have been.

So what has been wrong and what can I do about it. One problem is I used to swim in the afternoons so I could run on fresh legs three times a week. Now I only get two fresh runs and have to run twice more in the afternoons. Once after a bike work out and the other after a big swim. In neither case do my legs feel fresh. The only thing I have been able to do is move my lunch back an hour in the hopes my legs recover just a little bit more.

Another thing I have changed is my physical therapy. It was a few tweaks but I have decided to change back and also put more of an emphasis on them regardless of my racing schedule. So far so good. I also wasn't sure of my sprint distances so I also increased them by about 5 seconds per 400. The last thing I've done is increased my core workout. I had hoped that I could cut it down to save time but I think it may need to go back to where it was.

I don't know what has made the difference but I do seem to feel better on my runs. VO2 seems better and I'm feeling much more comfortable than I used to. My stride also seems longer and I my form feels much better. The only thing I'm unsure of is how my arms swing. I'm hoping that this will work itself out when I stop thinking about it.

As for Turtleman I'm cautiously optomistic. I'm guessing that the usual suspects will be there similar to Gear West. Gear West was my first race of the year and I ran well but I wasn't biking at my potential yet. Hopefully I can bike better and close the gap some more on the runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment